Former Big Red greats tee off for a great cause.
It was a beautiful day for golf as many former Football Cardinal greats participated in the 11th annual Jim Hart Celebrity Golf Outing at The Legends County Club in Eureka, MO. This event benefits Sunnyhill, Inc. which provides services, programs, and opportunities for children and adults with developmental disabilities.
Former Mizzou head coach Gary Pinkel served as the honorary chairman of the event and drove the ball right down the middle of the fairway on the first tee. Hart and many of his former Big Red teammates such as Mel Gray, Roger Wehrli, Tim Kearney, Tim Van Galder, Johnny Roland, and Jim Otis were in attendance.
Hart currently lives in Naples, FL and only gets back to St. Louis about once a year. We talked about his induction into the Arizona Cardinals Ring of Honor and was surprised to learn that he did not see Bill Bidwill during his visit. However, you could tell he was honored and humbled by the ceremony last December. We also talked about the late great Bill Wilkerson who was Hart’s college teammate at SIU-Carbondale in the 1960s.
- Roger Wehrli recently moved to Arizona and looks incredible.
- Mel Gray has retired from coaching high school track in Rockford and will soon be moving back to the St. Louis area.
- Johnny Roland feels he could have been named to the All-Time Big Red team if it weren’t for his knee injuries early in his career. (I don’t disagree!)
- Tim Kearney talked about his clothesline tackle of Dave Hampton during his first game with the Big Red in 1976. Says he would be flagged on that play in today’s era. (Yes he would!)
- Jerry Holloway did an awesome job singing the National Anthem.
Check out the photos from the event below!
I see you don’t monetize thebigredzone.com, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra cash every month with new monetization method.
This is the best adsense alternative for any type of website (they approve all websites), for more info
simply search in gooogle: murgrabia’s tools
Thanks for the memories, I kind of miss those days. And my fellow teammates
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hey Mel -was 4 years behind you at Mizzou – wore 21 at Naples HS 1970 ‘cause of one of my heros. WR then switched to DB with Clay Cooper.
really enjoyed an article re your cardinal days – some of the poor treatment was ungodly.